Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Day the #Runstreak Died... at 79...

As a runner... I've been pretty lucky.  I have been running for 2 1/2 years and I've only been "injured" to the point that it has impacted the next run twice (little aches and pains during the run don't count). 

About 8 months after starting running, I dealt with some Achilles tendinitis.  After a few weeks of icing it with some elevation and stretching, it was back to normal.  

Unfortunately, this time it ended my runstreak.

Since the 28th of November, 79 days ago, I haven't missed a day running.  I've run in snow... sleet... sun... wind... cold and hot... and everything in between.  It started out as a fun little exercise that I continued because I enjoyed it. 

Unfortunately, today was the last day. 

I've been nursing a strained quad muscle in my left leg.  (I ran a 7 mile run on a Friday and was fine.  Ran another 7 miler on Saturday and felt an odd pain in my quad afterwards... which got sorer.  Sunday, I ran a little but it was still sore.  Then on Monday, I overdid it with too much mileage.  Bad move...)  It doesn't really bother me to walk... but after a few miles running, it begins to protest more and more.  Mostly, it's painful sitting down until I get completely into the chair and standing up from a chair.  For the past 10 days, I've been running 1 to 1 1/3 mile runs around the mall hoping that it would get better.  Too bad it hasn't... despite the NSAIDs, Icy/Hot, heating blanket and ice packets.  And it is beginning to eat into my Cap City Half training. 

So I came to the decision to shut it down at 79 days... 306.35 miles  (an average of 3.88 miles a day)... and give my quad 5 days without running to rest.  I'm hoping by Monday or Tuesday of next week that it is ready for some action again. 

I know I am.

Keep running friends!
JC


1 comment:

  1. Great job during the streak! I hope the rest works for you and you can get back to a normal routine.

    ReplyDelete