Saturday, April 19, 2014

A few Dominican thoughts from Jonah Wahl

This week has been an amazing experience for me. I’m really upset that I had to go home so soon. When I come home, I’ll have an entirely new prospective on life. From now on, I won’t be complaining about silly stuff like Instragram not working for a few hours. In the United States, we have so much to be grateful for. Some of the people around the world like in the DR would do almost anything just to be in our shoes.

One of the experiences that hit me the hardest this week is when our group went to the hole. As soon as the little kids in this place saw us, they started running up to us with the biggest smiles on their faces. One kid in particular came up to me screaming to all of his friends “Americano, Americano! Mio!” (American, American! Mine!) He came up to me and held his hands up, asking me to put him on my shoulders in Spanish. When I tried to put him down so my group and I could work, he clung onto me. Something similar happened to everybody in our group. We did not only go to feed the children, but we also went to show them love and attention.


I can’t wait to go on another mission trip next year. I absolutely love helping those who are in great need. In 2016, I hope to be an intern for GO ministries during the summer. I want to wait till then so I will be able to speak Spanish better. This week, I have decided that I definitely do want to be a missionary in a Spanish speaking country.

Jonah Wahl

No comments:

Post a Comment