Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Dominican Thoughts from Paige Roe

Hello to everyone in "the states"!

Today I finally had my first opportunity to work with the group. Some of you may know that I am allergic to latex, which made it hard for me to work in the church this week. The main work project was to paint the church.. Latex is in paint, so therefore, I could not be at the church working, and if I was, I had to be outside. So, while the others got to enjoy working in the church with the entire group Monday and Tuesday, I got to enjoy serving kids in a nutrition center and also help Lenae (our G.O team leader) with her office work. Even though I was away from the team, I still had an opportunity to serve God. While serving the kids in the nutrition center, I was amazed at how many kids didn't know their last name, and even some not even knowing their first because they only know their nickname. Seeing these kids get so excited for food and attention made me see a whole new world. The kids beg for attention while we are begging for the newest technology and Starbucks. Seeing these kids melted my heart. My love for kids became even stronger, even when I didn't think it could.

As I had mentioned earlier, after the nutrition center, I was with Lenae at her house while the team was at the church painting. Knowing that I couldn't help the team and feeling useless, it was honestly so hard to sit there in a comfortable chair and a cool house. But, at the same time, I feel as if I was called to be there to experience something different, that may effect my life in the future. I created a special bond with her that I will never forget. Romans chapter 8 verses 28- 30, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the first born among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified." This makes me feel as if God called me to be in a different place with Lenae for a time in my future, whether it be a full-time missionary or even just an intern.

This trip has opened my eyes a lot. I realize how beyond lucky I am to have a bug-free house, air conditioning, and warm showers. I never thought I would ever consider taking another trip out of the country (due to me being homesick), but now, I am thinking the opposite. The Dominican is an awesome place, and I am so glad I had the opportunity to be here to experience this.. Especially with my mom. Now that my mom has experienced this with me, she will be able to remind me how lucky I am when I take advantage of things. Even though I love this place, it makes me realize how important my family and also church family is.






No comments:

Post a Comment